Monday 17 March 2014

Baywatch

To be honest I started feeling ill on Tuesday and by Thursday I was well and truly diseased. As a result, I wasn't in on Thursday and so there was no post. Even now I'm far from at my best, unfortunately :( Because of this, I didn't, in the end, try to get in for Hindi this morning and decided to skip both the lecture and the tutorial.

As I write these opening paragraphs, though, I am in the university's library, having made my way in for an appointment (which I was still late for, but did make :P). I have Sanskrit in an hour as well and we're getting our essays set so I thought I really ought to turn up to that.

So, to achieve that, I turned up at ROV at about 12:10 (slightly before) and didn't have too long to wait, on a lovely, sunny day, for the WOO. As per usual, I changed at WOO, but we seemed to have an unusually long wait for the next westbound and there was nothing on the east, either. Maybe it was just the time of day - I'm not usually at WOO at lunchtime - and I couldn't see how long we had to wait because one of the dot-matrix indicators was not working. While I waited, I noticed a very odd-looking - yet somehow rather sweet - pigeon sitting below the negative conductor rail. It seemed to have been there before the WOO pulled in and had simply sat there. Sure enough, when the WER finally did arrive there was no movement from the pigeon.

There was, however, finally movement for me and I headed on my way. No Sonia for most of the journey and a dodgy door that was closing very late. The 1992TS really do seem to be feeling the strain. Mind you (perhaps because of Sonia's silence? :P) it was a remarkably talkative carriage. I witnessed a number of people eagerly giving a man directions (I didn't join in because they were at the other end of the carriage and he seemed to have plenty of help) and an exchange between strangers about passing the time when traveling on the train. Well I never.

As I was running late, I continued on through LIS and changed at HOL for the Picc. A Cockfosters train took me to Russell Sq. and I didn't have to wait long for a fairly quiet lift.

On the way back I was extremely tired, but it was truly a very lovely evening. Having been able to leave a little bit early, I arrived at Euston Sq. ahead of schedule and was pleased to be able to walk - almost straight away - onto an Aldgate train that was not too busy at all. In fact, I even got a seat. The journey was mostly smooth, although we were held in the platform at Farringdon eastbound for a little while and I think that cost me dearly.

When I finally made it to the Central line platform at LIS I was disappointed to see that the next train was for HAI via NEP, with an EPP behind that and then the WOO via HAI. So I'd missed the GRH via WOO. No matter, I boarded the HAI - which was very warm and rather busy, but I actually had a rather enjoyable journey and it was certainly very nice when we came out of the tunnel into the last few tens of minutes of daylight. I got off into the lovely cool air at LES and decided to try my luck on the EPP. The EPP duly whisked me off to WOO, where I got a nice surprise - a train in the WOO bay, due to leave for WER immediately after the HAI left 21 road. Almost as nice was the fact that this was due to happen just 2 minutes after I arrived and I was able to change seamlessly onto the HAI, watch the back of the train in the bay platform depart and head onto ROV without any fuss. Lovely views between WOO and ROV, too. Not a bad journey home :) Didn't, in the end, ever get my essay set, so I have to look forward to do that probably over the first weekend of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment