Wednesday 30 April 2014

Strike tales episode III (revenge of the strike?)

Yesterday, I intended to meet a friend for a very brief rendezvous, before meeting a group of people ostensibly for phonetics revision. Well, the second meeting fell through and we decided to meet instead today. Take 2.

I was running a little late, I'm sorry to say, as a consequence of this being my second "early" start in a row. This time, when I arrived at ROV the shuttle was only a little way from ROV - probably about five minutes away. So I got on that; we were away unusually quickly and soon arrived at WOO to terminate. At WOO I noticed there was a train in the sidings - on 26 road to be precise. Not a big surprise. Anyway, when the shuttle had headed off back to HAI the LES arrived and I obviously took that and connected with the MAA. As we were pulling out of LES on the west, we experienced two consecutive interlock losses. Clearly these weren't the first. An exasperated T/Op exclaimed:

"Do not lean on the doors!"

And then:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your driver speaking. I know it must be busy back there, but please don't lean on the doors, it does disrupt the journey and if it keeps happening I'm gonna take the train out of service."

It didn't happen again :P

After that I think it was pretty much plain sailing, nothing much to report. I noticed that WAN was open again when I was on my way in - not that I went through it. RED was still closed, though, but BEG was also back open. I got the distinct impression, yesterday, that Euston Sq was closed, so I decided to go to HOL instead. There was no Picc through the centre. When I got home and checked, Euston Sq. was definitely open, so there's a good chance this wasn't actually necessary, but it's what I did. STP and CHL were both closed so, presumably, we went through in Coded.

I lost a bit of time getting myself quite lost around HOL. How I managed this I'm not sure, since there were plenty of maps, I've done the walk before and it's almost all straight lines, but I made a mistake and took the wrong road at the start. Ended up taking a while to correct my mistake... :( Eventually, though, I did make it to the meeting. I can't say it was terribly useful, it just made me feel a bit worse about my chances, but it was nice to see people and it was fairly nice doing a bit of work with them.

With the "revision" over, it was time to head home. Since I still hadn't checked whether Euston Sq. was open, I headed back to HOL but this time I found my way around no problem. As I was walking to the platform I heard tell that limited through running (between WER and HAI via NEP) had been established, but I was heading east so I don't know much on that front - I assume it was for the evening peak. I boarded the HAI via NEP, but unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to get on at the back...d'oh! Anyway, that took me off to LES. BEG had closed again by that time and I gather WAN was also closed. On the way I overheard the phone call of someone who seemed pretty convinced that HAI was the only available destination and that she couldn't get "the other line." Happily, the T/Op made a timely announcement halfway through her phonecall (at STR) and then again on the approach to LES. I think she got the message. I didn't wait around to see though and hurried off to platform 2 with the rest of the throng and just about managed to get the next EPP.

Obviously I changed at WOO again (where I arrived quite warm :P) and had a fairly short wait for the shuttle which took me home. The train was still (or back, but I think most likely still) in WOO sidings when I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment