Thursday 5 December 2013

Delays

When I got to ROV this morning there were severe delays on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines and severe delays on the Met between Aldgate and Baker Street and between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Watford; minor delays on the rest of the line. This was due to an earlier signal failure at Moorgate. The sensible thing to do in this situation would, of course, be to head to Russell Square instead of Euston Square. I, however, am TUT and I didn't want to miss out on all the fun - especially not when I only had phonology to look forward to. When I got to LIS, though, I was able to walk straight onto a Hammersmith service (H&C) which took me to Euston Square very smoothly. By the time I had got there there were minor delays on the District line and on the Victoria line, but apparently the earlier problems had all been cleared up by then.

On the way back there were also delays. There were severe delays on both the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines between Hammersmith and Edgware road (minor delays on the rest of the two lines). This was all due to a signal failure at Hammersmith. There were also minor delays on my Central line (an obstruction on the track at EAA (East Acton) - presumably due to the heavy winds we've had today.) Happily, I was able to get onto a Met line train to Aldgate which got me to LIS quite happily. I noticed at Farringdon that the delays were having their effect and the departure board was showing "Terminates here" and, after that, (or perhaps before?) "Not in Service". I noticed up the road at Barbican a C stock showing Farringdon as its destination which was, presumably, going into the sidings. That much makes sense; but it was being tipped out there. I'm not entirely sure why - availability of staff, perhaps? I dunno, but it seems strange it didn't continue in service to Farringdon to be tipped out there. I wasn't paying that much attention, though, maybe there was a train already at Farringdon being tipped out there and one being tipped out at Barbican. That would make some sense, because it would mean that the second train that was tipped out at Barbican could run into the sidings without needing to be tipped out. So, rather than having a train pull into Farringdon, be tipped out and taken it into the sidings, then having another one arrive, needing to be tipped out, holding up the whole of the westbound service, you have one being tipped out at Farringdon and one being tipped out at Barbican at the same time, to keep things behind them running more smoothly.

Anyway, whatever the case, there was also a train out of service in platform 4 at Moorgate. The lights were off so it wasn't going anywhere soon. At LIS, though, apart from it being slightly busy, I didn't have any problems getting an EPP train out of central London. We were quite a bit slower than usual between MIE (Mile End) and STR (Stratford), with a number of stops and starts. Apart from that, though, we didn't have many problems. Bit of a wait at WOO was all, but I noticed the Westbound wasn't having a great night. The departure board was showing NOA (North Acton) Held and WHC (White City) 16 mins away. It kept chopping and changing - at one point it showed a train that was going to be short-turned at MAA (Marble Arch) - which would've been a nice change, but - in the end - I think it ended up as an EAB (Ealing Broadway) train. A train did, eventually, pull into WB2 probably after only 5 mins or so and everything seemed pretty much back on track after that, it definitely didn't take 16 mins for that WHC to turn up (if it did indeed go to WHC in the end, I think it did :P). No real problems for me, though, and I was home soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment