Friday 27 December 2013

London Transport Museum

Today I arranged to go to the London Transport Museum with a friend of mine. I can thoroughly recommend it, by the way, it's a very pretty building and well worth a look. There's not an excessive amount to be seen, nor a huge amount of information, but it's good fun and it's very nice to see some old trains (including a 1938 stock train you can sit in) and buses, etc., many of which you can actually board.

So I arrived at ROV wanting to go via HAI (Hainault) and I was sure I didn't have any money on my Oyster card. Happily I was wrong about this, because there was a bit of a queue and the train was pulling in as I was checking if I had any money :P Fortunately I managed to hop on board, saving myself a 20 minute wait, and enjoyed a very pleasant trip round the loop on a lovely winter's morning. It was uneventful after that, apart from a brief wait at STR (Stratford) due to a handle down somewhere up the line and CHL (Chancery Lane) is closed. We changed at HOL (Holborn) for a Picc train one stop to Covent Garden, which is a lovely station, as I've mentioned before. It's nice inside and out to be honest, but it does suffer from having only lifts and a long fixed staircase to and from the platforms. This means a bit of a wait and a cramped journey to the platform (unless you're a much fitter man than I am and can be bothered to walk, that is :P). Nothing of note on the way back, changed at HOL and the next Central line train was for WOO via HAI. Which was nice :P

Also there's a new version of the tube map out, which I always look forward to, because I'm a geek. The main features are that Edgware Road (Bakerloo line) is open again and that Embankment is no longer shown on the Northern and Bakerloo lines. This is because trains on these lines are not stopping at Embankment between January and November next year while major work is carried out on the escalators.

No comments:

Post a Comment