Wednesday 4 December 2013

Rail rage

Happily, there was a strike yesterday :) I didn't quite manage to get through the reams of work I was hoping to get through; but the day off was more than welcome and I managed a bit. Today, though, it was back to class and, therefore, back to the railways. I, myself, was quite happy to be on the Central line this morning, but a couple of my fellow travelers who got on at MIE (Mile End) were not so happy. Presumably there'd been a bit of pushing, one of them shouted out "don't push me!" there was an angry retaliation and, ultimately, a minor shouting match. In the end, happily, nothing came of it - just a bit of "commuter rage"; but, still, it's not want anyone needs in the morning. *Sigh*. Still, I'm glad they didn't start fighting in a packed tube train, in the long-ish tunnel between MIE and BEG - when they started with "what you gonna do?" I was a little concerned. I was wondering what the best course of action would be. Obviously it's nice to think you'd be able to just calm them down with a few well-chosen words (I'd've had to shout, though, they were in a throng a little way away) but this doesn't always go to plan and I'm not exactly built like a man mountain. I think this'd be an occasion for the passenger emergency alarm, then the T/Op could alert the station staff and a few of them (and maybe the BTP) could attend, make sure they were taken off the train and calmed down. Still, London Underground are encouraging us not to use it if we can help it - if you're ill, you're supposed to just seek help at the next station. Maybe they'd prefer it if you go over to one of the help points at a station, but I imagine the train'd be on its way by then and you really need some prompt assistance.
Anyway, no action was required and I was safely onto a Met train at LIS heading to Uxbridge. The journey started well, it started well. A few seconds into the tunnel between Liverpool Street and Moorgate, though, we were stopped - quite hard, actually - outside Moorgate due to a problem on a train up the road at Barbican. There, indeed, we remained for a good few minutes, too. Yet again, I was late for Hindi :P Still, I think I woulda been late anyway - but less so!
 
Not much going on on the way back, just a nice, sunny winter's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment