Thursday 20 February 2014

A few novelties

When I went to bed last night I wasn't sure if I would bother heading in for an hour today. In the end, though, I did get up (at about 14:10 :P) and was at ROV with only about 5 minutes to wait for the WOO train. Timed it very nicely really and, to be honest, it was a pretty lovely afternoon all round. For some reason, though, it took us a few attempts to get moving at ROV. The doors closed and the train attempted to move away before immediately braking and stopping. This then happened again, before we finally headed down to WOO. No idea what happened there, to be honest.

As always, I changed at WOO - onto a NOR train, I think, might've been WER. Again, on the run down to LIS I actually noticed LES 5760 showing white. As we pulled into westbound platform 2 I saw that the train on platform 1 was cleared down to LEY via the crossover immediately outside the station - another comparative rarity. Perhaps this was also the reason for the white signal? Then, at STR, we pulled up and the doors on the left opened. The T/Op then made a PA to say that the doors on the right would open only after the doors on the left had closed. (In spite of this, people continued to switch to the doors on the left, paying attention is just so last century.) This is what happened and I'm not sure why. I know from ASLEF shrugged that STR is the number 1 location for PTI (platform train interface) incidents, but I wasn't aware that this had become standard procedure? Maybe it has though. Anyway, changed at LIS and I think I got an all stations Uxbridge into Euston Sq.

On the way back home I was able to take the Circle line to LIS. Predictably it was very busy and pretty slow going and we were held for a little while on the eastbound, approaching Moorgate. At LIS I just made it onto the WOO via HAI, which was nice - although the guy standing in front of me had left his rucksack on. I can't recall anything of note. We had a bit of a wait at HAI and then again at GRH. While at GRH, mind, I got to watch a train shunt. The last time I was there, I actually saw half a train being shunted around without a carriage with a driving cab at the front - just a regular carriage. I'm guessing the shunter at the front was passing instructions to someone at the back, driving in reverse? I'm not sure if there are basic controls to allow such driving from the carriage itself? Perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment