Friday 14 February 2014

Banking

Today, I was asked to deliver a parcel to my sister, who works up near BAN (Bank) station. Bit of a long story but, in short, it was a gift for Valentine's day and she obviously needed it today, before she left work for her boyfriend's, and it only came this morning.

So, basically, I was once more on the Central line and it wasn't a bad little trip actually. It was a wet trip though - absolutely miserable weather. I arrived at damp ROV with about 10 minutes to wait for the WOO train and spent the time huddled in my coat :P The rain had really built up on the rails by the time the HAI train arrived on the opposite platform. It seemed to manage to stop alright, though, but I quite enjoyed the sight of the pick-up shoes scything their way through the puddles of water on the conductor rails.

Anyway, the WOO train soon had me on my way and I changed at WOO for a NOR (Northolt) train, which carried me into BAN no problem. I don't think there was really anything much of note, except that we were held on the westbound approaching LEY, waiting for the train from platform 1, which departed after us. Thanks Wood Lane :P There was a moment when I wasn't sure why we'd stopped and then I felt it come whooshing past :P

It was, though, nice to get a chance to have a look round BAN station - bit of something new - and it was also a nice walk through what is a very pretty part of London. Umbrellas and narrow streets, however, are not a good mix and I nearly lost an eye at least five times to my fellow pedestrians :P (One of the reasons I prefer a coat). Also got a chance, at BAN, to have a peak at the equipment which is attached to the check rail and applies grease to the running rail, to keep noise and wear down.

Sadly, I had a dentist's appointment this afternoon (everything seems fine, thanks) and was in a hurry. I thought I probably just had enough time to pop home, brush my teeth and pick up a bottle of water. Therefore, I decided to stay on the NEP (Newbury Park) train and was able to watch it run into the siding - which made a nice change - at the very pretty NEP:
Newbury Park station, with a train standing in the siding visible in the background
This I did because the WOO via HAI was just a few minutes behind it. That took me back to ROV, where it was positively tipping it down - the heavens really opened while we were waiting for the starter at GRH (Grange Hill) to clear and it was still raining hard as I made my sodden way home for the pit stop. Got drenched on the way to the dentist's as well.

The rain didn't please the train, either. At BAR (Barkingside), I noticed we weren't moving - even though the doors had been closed for some time. Eventually we had movement, but it was a hard stop at FAI (Fairlop) and it needed a brief application of power (or, certainly the brakes came off for a moment) at HAI to make the stopping mark. It was like I was driving! :P Auto, then, still not enjoying the rain from where I was sitting :P (I doubt we were in coded - it crossed my mind, but the braking profile of the train matches descriptions and footage of Auto's problems with wet weather.)

No comments:

Post a Comment